Spotlight: Shot @ Life

Posted on October 17, 2012

0


According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there were an estimated 350,000 cases of Polio in the world in 1988, and only 1300 in 2010. This year, India celebrates their one-year anniversary of being Polio-free, and there are currently only three countries left – Afghanistan, Nigeria, and Pakistan – that are still considered polio-endemic countries (CDC).

According to Shot @ Life, other vaccine-preventable diseases include Measles, Pneumonia, and Diarrhea due to the Rotavirus. Most of these diseases may not seem problematic in the U.S., but these diseases can be fatal in countries that don’t have adequate medical resources, proper nutrition, and healthy environments (Shot @ Life).

Shot @ Life is an organization, built on the U.N. Foundation‘s global vaccine initiative, that understands the importance of vaccinating children all over the world, especially in countries where the likelihood of acquiring vaccine-preventable diseases and dying from them is increased. Shot @ Life works with partner organizations to get the vaccines to the children that need them the most. It educates Americans about the life-saving power of vaccines, and also empowers us to do something about it, whether through advocacy or monetary ways.

Everyone can show support for Shot @ Life and its work towards eliminating vaccine-preventable disease by pledging support, fundraising, donating towards campaigns, emailing Congress about supporting funding for Global Health and Vaccines, and even simply posting about Shot @ Life and its work on social media.

Like many, I was also a child who benefitted from the global campaign to eradicate Polio. Throughout my entire life so far, Polio cases have already been reduced by 99% (see www.theendofpolio.com). Let’s not take too long to eliminate the remaining 1%.

All information about Shot @ Life in this post was taken from Shot @ Life’s website, http://www.shotatlife.org/.